Medical Technician Position Summary
Under the general direction of the Executive Director and Wellness Director, primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to, administer medications to the residents in a safe, accurate, and timely manner.
Qualifications and Required Experience for Medical Technician:
- Excellent communication skills and a compassion for older adults.
- Must possess valid driver’s license.
Primary Responsibilities for Medical Technician:
- Administers medications according to the physician order on the medication administration record (MAR).
- Documents medications administered on the MAR in accordance with company policy. Checks MARs immediately after administration and prior to end of shift to ensure documentation is complete and accurate.
- Conducts change of shift report with oncoming/outgoing shift personnel.
- Maintains security of medication cart and narcotic keys during entire shift. Conduct narcotic count at the beginning and end of every shift in accordance with company policy and procedure.
- Provides all necessary care and services to assigned residents and assists other caregivers as needed.
- Works collaboratively with peers and other team members.
- Provides assistance with Activities of Daily living such as with bathing, dressing, personal hygiene (includes shaving, oral care, nail care, hair care, foot care), toileting, eating and ambulation/mobility.
- Maintains professional demeanor at all times when interacting with residents and families.
- Reports any suspected or witnessed instances of verbal, mental, or physical abuse to licensed staff immediately.
- Utilizes safe transfer techniques when assisting residents with mobility.
- Participates in and supports the resident-centered activities program.
- Care for sensory enhancement devices such as eyeglasses and hearing aids.
- Completes housekeeping tasks such as bed-making, linen changes, vacuuming, emptying trash, and cleaning bathroom.
- Washing residents’ laundry as needed.
- Escorts residents and coordinates internal transportation needs.
- Assists residents with personal correspondence/telephone usage when requested.
- Observes and reports changes in residents’ physical condition and cognitive/emotional status to Wellness Director or charge nurse, as needed.
- Conducts room checks and resident rounds.
- Monitors for environmental safety hazards.
- Assists in a variety of tasks related to dining (escort residents to dining room, assist with set up and clean tables, serve meals, bus tables, etc.).
- Assists residents without swallowing difficulty with eating.
- Responds to emergencies in a prompt and calm manner. Immediately reports such emergencies to the charge nurse.
- Attends and participates in staff meetings and mandatory in-services.
- Documents provision of services on company forms.
- Uses tactful, diplomatic communication techniques in potentially sensitive or emotionally charged situations.
- Follows-up with appropriate staff, residents, or other individuals regarding reported complaints, problems and concerns.
- Acts as ambassador and public relations representative to guests and other off-campus visitors.
- Copies special paperwork or forms.
- Demonstrates an appreciation of the heritage, values, and wisdom of the residents and an understanding of the aging process.
- Collaborates with associates in other departments to assure necessary care and services are provided.
- Participates in projects or committees as assigned.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
American House Senior Living Communities
Founded in 1979, American House Senior Living Communities’ vision is to provide high-quality housing for senior at a price affordable for retirees and their families. That vision of excellence has endured for nearly 40 years and expanded to serve residents at a number of senior housing communities. Our mission is to enrich the lives of those we serve, providing an environment that fosters meaningful relationships. Our vision is to be an innovative senior housing company that created sustainable excellence and stakeholder value, with an unparalleled commitment to passionate care provided by compassionate people.