Vice President of Culinary Innovation Position Summary
The Vice President of Culinary Innovation role ensures our American House residents and their families have an exceptional culinary experience by developing a modern and contemporary approach to culinary that meets the needs of the modern senior while also differentiating the American House brand. The VP of Culinary Innovation will also be responsible for creating an environment that encourages innovation in food offerings combined with consistent execution while addressing the operational and financial needs of the business.
In short, this person must have a passion for amazing food! Amazing food that celebrates local ingredients, preferences and seasonal menus. As a key member of the senior leadership team, she or he will engage with all levels of the company, inspire team members, and promote results by fostering a collaborative partnership between our culinary department and our community operators. We are looking for an innovative chef with a passion for nutrition and a deep understanding of how the ingredients that fuel our bodies connect us to living longer, healthier lives.
The Vice President of Culinary Innovation will promote the American House brand and engage with our communities, as well as develop relationships with local farmers and purveyors. This position is the lead product expert responsible for recommending, planning and managing the development of new and improved food and beverage products and processes across the portfolio. The Vice President of Culinary Innovation is responsible for adhering to all Health department regulations and SMC standards and expectations of food service safety, quality, freshness, and presentation. The Vice President of Culinary Innovation is the executive leader for all culinary operations to include menu concepts and recipe standardization, food safety, food defense, food allergen management, food quality, labor, food cost control, production, waste control, purchasing and inventory control. In addition, the Vice President of Culinary Innovation is responsible for the management, training, employee engagement, and direction of the culinary staff. Successful candidates will be able to demonstrate the ability to drive food as a major growth strategy and brand differentiator for American House.
Qualifications and Required Experience for Vice President of Culinary Innovation:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. We will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in culinary arts, food service Hotel Restaurant Management or related field
- Prefer a minimum of five (5) years as a Executive Chef or related, preferably in hospitality or entertainment
- Minimum of seven (7) years’ of progressive culinary management experience, multi-unit and/or multi state experience preferred
- Experience in all aspects of culinary operations, including restaurants, banquets, pub/bistros and in-room dining
- Demonstrated track record of producing culinary-driven business growth programs from concept to execution
- Effective at presenting information and responding to questions and/or concerns from management, team members, residents, public groups, regulatory agencies, Executive Leadership and/or Investors.
- Advanced proficiency in budgeting, Profit & Loss, and business planning mandatory; ability to create and manage a high-level budget and assess for profit margin improvement opportunities
- Lead menu planning and cost strategy work. Ensure a “Best In Class” Culinary strategy is executed to fullest potential at the community level.
- Excellent communications skills, both written and verbal
- Strong training and development skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office: Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point
- Problem solving skills and sound decision making ability based on business needs
- Up to 40% travel; sometimes with short notice
- Registered dietitian preferred
- Must obtain and maintain a ServSafe® certification (Instructor Certification preferred) within 90 days of employment.
Primary Responsibilities for Vice President of Culinary Innovation:
‘BEST IN CLASS” BRANDED CULINARY EXPERIENCE:
- Drive the launch and consistent execution of the American House “Best In Class” culinary standards, quality control, processes and procedures
- Work closely with the marketing department to establish culinary and other promotions which enhance the American House brand
- Participate with other key leaders in the formulation and execution of portfolio-wide projects and initiatives that add value to the organization and differentiate American House from the competition as a “Best In Class” industry leader.
INNOVATION & CONTINOUS IMPROVEMENT:
- Identify consumer food trends, review resident feedback and competitive insights, and establish innovative food concepts in our strategic food program.
- Lead menu/recipe development and product improvement designed to positively impact the overall resident satisfaction
- Identify opportunities through trends, resident feedback and competitive insights.
- Maintain knowledge of new and evolving technology in Culinary and the Senior Living industry to ensure the department is maximizing efficiencies.
- Provide leadership and culinary support for new community openings, new concepts, food-related life enrichment and wellness programs and year-round celebrations
- Monitor and evaluate all daily departmental activities to ensure the successful day-to-day management of all operations, as well as proposing innovative solutions for continual improvement for both operations and employee engagement.
CULINARY, BUSINESS AND STRATEGIC OPERATIONS:
- Work closely with operational leaders to set strategic goals and support field based culinary team members to ensure such goals are achieved
- Measure, analyze and report on revenues, productivity and other key metrics in order to optimize and adjust business plan to ensure success
- Lead results-driven strategic planning and execution by establishing department goals, objectives, and providing direction, guidance, and support to ensure the successful operation of the culinary department.
- Develop annual business and emergency preparedness plans that will support American House initiatives and enhance Culinary quality and service, associated costs, team member development, retention strategies, and employee productivity benchmarks
- Lead menu planning and cost strategy work. Ensure a “Best In Class” strategy is executed to fullest potential at the community level.
BUILDING EFFECTIVE TEAMS:
- Along with food & beverage leadership, serve as the primary culinary subject matter experts in order to educate team members on the latest trends
- Establish training protocols for all areas of culinary, including new menu items, food safety, occupational safety and more delivered through workshops, web based and onsite training and site visits
- Lead, direct, and administer all culinary operations including, but not limited to: budgeting and forecasting, purchasing and inventory control, policy development, implementation, and enforcement of procedure and operation standards.
- Lead a culture of responsibility specifically for food safety, food defense, and food allergen management while enforcing an industry-leading standard in food quality, freshness, and presentation throughout all food outlets in accordance to SMC standards and expectations while ensuring “A” scores for all inspections.
- Establish health and safety policies and procedures for team members, safeguard their compliance, corrects and communicates any safety violation located on the community grounds in a timely manner, and ensure consistent adherence to all OSHA guidelines.
- Promote and strengthen American House brand to attract and retain top talent.
- Create a compliance culture within American House that fosters an environment where team members feel empowered to report potential violations and/or misconduct; champion the importance of safety and compliance to reinforce a culture of safety and team support.